Thursday, July 28, 2011

Attitude/Goal Adjustment

At the start of this summer, my goal was to run 300 miles.  Then I tacked on an extra month and thought, what the hay - I'll do 400 miles.  Um, so to slightly misuse an analogy, my eyes were bigger than my legs...in that meaning that in order to accomplish this task, I need to run 5 miles every single day between now and the big Twin Cities Marathon.

This girl is whooped.

I've only been running since last summer, and school is starting again soon (I'm in grad school), couple that with work and some of my volunteering commitments, and 5 miles per day for the next two months is a little too much.  As much as I hate to admit it, there is no way that I can get another 300 miles logged between now and the Marathon, particularly as there is a nagging injury in my leg that is making running really painful.  Now, pain has never been something to stop me (except when my tonsils were removed two years ago, then pain kind of put me right in my place for two weeks), especially when I'm raising money for the kids in Haiti, but realism must take its place.

So, the gist of this message is that I am going to have to drop my goal back down to its original level - 300 miles between June 1 and the marathon in the beginning of October.  For all of you who think it should not be a problem to run 300 miles in four months, consider that you have to build in rest days, and remember that I'm still a relatively new runner.  And took a week out due to lost toenails.  Murgle murgle murgle.

So yeah.  A goal that is actually achievable...for this summer anyways.  There is another goal in mind for next year, but I'm not yet releasing that info.  Too valuable.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment